Jul 16, 2012

No Such Thing as Real Hip Hop

Luke and I got into a discussion about this topic of "real hip hop" on Twitter a few weeks back and I agree with him 100%. Being a hip hop head has become increasingly complicated. We both enjoy classic rap but our taste has evolved to a point where lyrical skill and "boom bap" era beats aren't enough to satisfy us. Speaking for myself; I'm a dad, I'm a husband, I'm well educated and I work for an educational institution. I'm always expected to be on my best behaviour at all times. Then, there's the additional pressure of being a black man, where I feel that I have to be THAT MUCH MORE well behaved so that I am not perceived to fit negative stereotypes. Now that I'm in my 30's and have achieved some professional and academic success, I've come to feel completely secure in the fact that... I ENJOY ignorant rap music! I ENJOY ignorant rap music! I was once a little embarrassed by this but in my straight laced life, being able to pop on my earphones and blast the most atrocious messages possible to a crazy bass thumping beat is a pure emotional release for me.

When I'm listening, I have no responsibilities, I'm just letting the rapper take me into their world for 4 mins. I'm not saying that I condone those messages or wish I lived that life or that I think children should be exposed to those lyrics {I don't}. I compare my love of ignorant rap to any adult moves that people love. The movie Scar Face is universally revered as a good movie so it's not considered abnormal for a person to like it. But if you love Waka Flocka's music then some people will judge you negatively for it. I think that hip hop fans have become too sensitive about what "real hip hop" is. I remember, a time when 90's hip hop was considered bad. Now people refer to the 90's as the "golden era" so I believe that all of these judgements are based on BS. The reality is that everything evolves in time. If hip hop didn't evolve into what it is today then it would have died a long time ago. {According to a lot of people, it is dead}. My belief is that hip hop is at its' best place ever. With the internet you can find rappers of just about every style and nationality. There's something for everyone out there. So for all of the people who are stuck on one kind of hip hop and claim that hip hop is dead then I say do some research and chill. The kind of hip hop that you love is waiting for you under the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment