Jul 12, 2014

My Dad's Portrait


I was a design major in university but I always considered myself to be an artist. I loved to draw and that led me to take a number of drawing classes while I was in school. When I graduated and started working as a designer, I became more reliant on photography and typography and I stopped drawing and producing art almost entirely. It's now been ten years since I left NSCAD U and I still don't draw very often but I miss it.

To commemorate my dad's life, one of my aunts asked me to draw a portrait of him and I agreed. At the time I was still pursuing a masters degree, working full time, freelancing through Glitterati and raising two beautiful daughters so I didn't think that I had the time to take it on, but it was something that I really wanted to do, for her, for him and for myself. It took a lot longer than I expected it to, but I was determined to finish it and I'm glad that I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment